Weight: 249 (even)
Workout: 10 minutes elliptical
Breakfast: Half banana, small hamburger patty
Lunch: Charlies Chicken 1/4 rotisserie dark, green beans, half banana
Dinner: Pulled pork, colored peppers fried in coconut oil, carrots
One month ago I started on the journey to lose weight and get back in shape. In the last 30 days I have lost 21 pounds, shaped up, got my wind, and in the process discovered I have made a major lifestyle change that I hope is sustainable for the rest of my life. But more importantly, I have learned a great deal about the Great America Diet – and it is not good. In just 30 days I think I have just scratched the surface. For me it is more than weight loss and fitness. At 53, it is also about long term health. Here is what I have achieved so far:
- I discovered what toxins and antioxidants are and how they play a role in our health.
- I discovered much of the meat we eat is stuffed with steroids and hormones because the meat processors and ranchers want more, faster.
- I discovered whole grains are not as good for you as everyone wants you to think.
- I discovered regular exercise leads to a sharper mind and may reduce my chances of contracting a brain centered disease like Alzheimer’s or Dementia.
- I discovered high fructose corn syrup replaced natural sugar in our diets almost overnight in 1975 resulting in an onslaught of lifestyle diseases in America like diabetes, cancer, heart disease, and many mental health issues.
- I discovered common joint pain is caused by cell oxidation and toxins but can be eliminated quickly with proper diet, exercise and antioxidants.
- My cholesterol is steady at 144.
- My blood pressure is steady at around 100/60.
- I feel better about myself.
The health results have been quick and sure. I think clearer, breath better, am not plagued with seasonal allergies, emotionally more stable, sleep less, have more energy, look better, don’t suffer from joint pain anymore, more focused and eat less while feeling more satisfied.
If this is the first time reading this blog you may be wondering how I accomplished so much in such a short period of time. It is simple. I have adopted the paleo/primal diet, I exercise, and I take certain antioxidants. It is so easy a caveman could do it!
As I continue I am learning more and more thanks to people like my daughter, Mandi, Mark Sisson at Mark’s Daily Apple, the Paleo Plan, Dr. Mercola and many more. Thank you all for your esteemed wisdom and willingness to share it personally with me.
Finally, to all the super seniors at the Claremore Recreation Center I want to say I appreciate your youthful desire to hit the weights and track to stay healthy. Yes, I like to highlight some of your moments but as a pre-senior I hope I am as alive as you are when I am your age. Click here to meet the prototypical seniors at the rec center.
Next month my goals are:
- Lose a minimum of 15 more pounds
- Tweak my diet to improve my healthy food intake even more
- Incorporate sprints into my exercise plan
Also, I have enjoyed all the blogs authored by so many. I appreciate your support, as well, and I look forward to reading about your insights and adventures in March.
End of Day 30!